Monday 12 May 2014

Home Stretch.

So here we are, at the start of the last week before the final hand in. Happily, I haven't got any work to catch up on, so I've been able to really get stuck in to our last project. Our task was to design a vehicle, character or environment based around 1920's Chicago. I chose to do a vehicle.

While the theme doesn't really appeal to me, I was glad of the chance to apply some of what I'd learned during the independent perspective studies I've been doing this past month.

My process as I work towards a final drawing.

I should have started with the wheel base!

It's nice to end on a high though and this project was just that. Something I did that worked particularly well was writing myself a design brief in the early stages of the project. 

With a lot of design orientated projects this term, I have struggled to make aesthetic decisions without a brief to base those decisions off. Having a brief to hand made this much easier and I feel it led to a much more coherent and unified final design.

1920's Chicago Vehicle.

Another project we've got on the go is the masters project, so I've been analysing the works of old masters and creating sketches of their work. I'm currently halfway through a final piece and I have to say I'm rather enjoying it.

Something I've come to realize lately is it's OK to draw and paint for the fun of it. Sounds obvious and silly, I know, but this year I've been hesitant to create art without having a specific learning outcome in mind. Or putting off drawing and painting because I feel like I'm too drained to get anything out of it.

But this masters project has helped me relax a bit. It's an enjoyable combination of looking at some amazing art and painting for the joy of it. I'll definitely be doing some more over the summer.

So here we go, last week. See you at the finish line.


No comments:

Post a Comment