Tuesday 2 December 2014

Week 9, Year 2: In-between things.

I'm in between things right now. There is a lot happening at the moment and I may have spread myself a bit thin. I'm enjoying having plenty to do but some projects are moving more slowly than they should be.

So, what's new this week? Well first off, I've taken the plunge and started learning ZBrush. This enormously intimidating program has been on my 'to-learn list' for nearly a year and I've finally got to a point where I feel I need start using it.

I've only logged about 10 hours on it so far but I already love it! While the interface is a bit of a nightmare, the process feels so much more artistic than any other 3D technique I've tried. Modelling characters in 3DS Max feels like data entry in comparison.

My only regret is not learning it sooner. I've left it too late to fully utilize it in this project and I could've really done with learning it over the summer. So I'm stuck modelling most of my characters in 3DS Max for now, but at least I'll have learned it for next time.

With all the digital work we've been doing I've decided to spend my free evenings creating a physical sculpey model. It's been a while since I've done one and it's a nice way to relax at the end of the day.


Armatures, ready for sculpey.

Another evening past-time has been participating in the SkySaga alpha. It's a lot of fun and it's been really interesting to test out an unfinished product. Anya and I agreed the sheep are definitely the stars of the game!

Baa-rilliant!

We also secured a flat for next year, which is a huge relief. Having to search for accommodation, while not even half-way through your current tenancy feels like insanity, but such is student life. But it's a really nice flat, and the landlord is OK with parrots, so we're happy.

And finally, I got round to scanning my life drawing, which I've been putting off since the start of term. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago.

I'm slowly getting the hang of drawing heads.

I'm making steady progress with my Life Drawing but I need to keep on top of it. I don't think once a week is enough to improve as rapidly as I'd like to. 

With that in mind, my goal for this week is to go to the optional Thursday sessions. I've been before and it's definitely worth making a regular thing, so it's going on the calendar.

That's about it for this week. Next post will be a big update on the character project as we come up on the deadline, so see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment